Today’s Weird Niche Wednesday has to do with something that Fido dreams of at night. A shiny silky toupee!
Yes, wigs for pets. And, not just for balding cats or dogs, either. These are just for stylin’ and looking cute.
It started like this – a simple Twitter from Traci Knoppe:
I quickly ran off to do a little research and found this website that offers wigs for dogs:
And, THEN of course I had to see if it was just dog owners that were nuts or if it spread across to cat owners.
Yes, cat wigs are for sale, too.
I hunted for Bird Wigs and Fish Wigs, but I couldn’t find any. 🙂
As for business lessons –
1. I was very happy that each website stuck to their own niche, rather than having a line for ALL pets. That makes each site even more special in my opinion. Niche down and KNOW your market. A dog fanatic might not want to land on a store where there are pictures of cats and vice versa.
2. People WILL spend money on unusual items.
3. I LOVE the “make your own ecards” on the cat site. http://www.kittywigs.com/sendcard/index.php
4. NICE job with the Iphones app, kitty wigs site: http://www.kittywigs.com/app.html
5. Bravo on packaging Kitty Wigs! http://www.kittywigs.com/package.html
6. Kitty Wigs also has a book which is a great way to get media exposure to their online storefront.
7. I like how the owners of Wiggles Dog Wigs include sizing information and care/washing of the wig. SMART way to lessen customer refunds.
8. The owner of Wiggles Dog Wigs was able to get on Letterman by taking a niche, and tweaking it for a new market. See? And, having a sense of humor helps you do WELL on Letterman. 😉 She’s awfully cute, isn’t she? And, so are the dogs.
It looks like cats aren’t quite as agreeable:
Where their online businesses could be improved?
1. No affiliate program. Rats!
2. More user-generated content & photos & stories.
3. A calendar would be adorable. I’d buy one.
4. Generate posters and items using photos of the animals using the product. Like the “Make your Own Demotivator” posters here: http://diy2.despair.com/
And, of course, thanks for reading. I hope that I made you smile.