Weird Niche: Pet Wigs for Dogs and Cats
Today's Weird Niche Wednesday has to do with something that Fido dreams of at night. A shiny silky toupee!
Yes, wigs for pets. And, not just for balding cats or dogs, either. These are just for stylin' and looking cute.
It started like this – a simple Twitter from Traci Knoppe:
I quickly ran off to do a little research and found this website that offers wigs for dogs:
And, THEN of course I had to see if it was just dog owners that were nuts or if it spread across to cat owners.
Yes, cat wigs are for sale, too.
I hunted for Bird Wigs and Fish Wigs, but I couldn't find any. 🙂
As for business lessons –
1. I was very happy that each website stuck to their own niche, rather than having a line for ALL pets. That makes each site even more special in my opinion. Niche down and KNOW your market. A dog fanatic might not want to land on a store where there are pictures of cats and vice versa.
2. People WILL spend money on unusual items.
3. I LOVE the “make your own ecards” on the cat site. http://www.kittywigs.com/sendcard/index.php
4. NICE job with the Iphones app, kitty wigs site: http://www.kittywigs.com/app.html
5. Bravo on packaging Kitty Wigs! http://www.kittywigs.com/package.html
6. Kitty Wigs also has a book which is a great way to get media exposure to their online storefront.
Glamourpuss: The Enchanting World of Kitty Wigs
7. I like how the owners of Wiggles Dog Wigs include sizing information and care/washing of the wig. SMART way to lessen customer refunds.
8. The owner of Wiggles Dog Wigs was able to get on Letterman by taking a niche, and tweaking it for a new market. See? And, having a sense of humor helps you do WELL on Letterman. 😉 She's awfully cute, isn't she? And, so are the dogs.
It looks like cats aren't quite as agreeable:
Where their online businesses could be improved?
1. No affiliate program. Rats!
2. More user-generated content & photos & stories.
3. A calendar would be adorable. I'd buy one.
4. Generate posters and items using photos of the animals using the product. Like the “Make your Own Demotivator” posters here: http://diy2.despair.com/
And, of course, thanks for reading. I hope that I made you smile.
I appreciate shares and I adore comments! Please share your thoughts.
The MomOctober 28, 2009 at 3:29 pm
Yappy Hour!?!!!?? OMG! I almost fell off my chair! Going back to watch the videos now. Can’t stand it! This Weird Niche is one for the record books. Thanks for the guffaws! Love ya!
Traci KnoppeOctober 28, 2009 at 5:17 pm
LOL Glad I could inspire your Weird Niche Wednesday post today Nicole. As an avid dog and cat lover, I have to say I do draw the line at pet wigs. (no offense to the niche site owners)
However, I have been known to drop some dollars on bling encrusted dog collars or cute dog sweaters; and of course assorted cat toys.
But pet wigs… uh, no thanks. 🙂
Traci KnoppeOctober 28, 2009 at 5:20 pm
Ooooo – I just watched the Letterman video, and Penny (the first dog) is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel! I have FOUR Cavalier, one Blenheim (red/white) and three tri-color (black, white & tan). 🙂
Lisa Marie MaryOctober 28, 2009 at 4:38 pm
I don’t know where I recently heard about this, too – it’s so funny, though! Absolutely loved the David Letterman video! Ruth is adorable – and that Chihuahua, she just loved David – awwww!
Thanks for this laugh – I so needed it this afternoon!!
CourtneyOctober 28, 2009 at 6:58 pm
While pet wigs are not something I would ever purchase, I could actually see some those celebrities who carry their pets everywhere investing in these.
Loved the videos though – too funny. 🙂
Gail J RichardsonNovember 5, 2009 at 10:17 am
LOL I am a pet lover and have 3 little girls,Daisy Sadie and Sally all different breeds and I can’t see any of them keeping on a wig.However the little Chihuahua was precious.We just never know what people are willing to pay for.I’ve seen weirder things.
Julie JacksonNovember 20, 2009 at 11:46 am
“3. A calendar would be adorable. I’d buy one.”
Good news! Kitty Wigs has a wall calendar that goes with the book coming out for 2011 – also by Chronicle Books, so you know it’s yummy.
Thanks for the feedback and compliments! We’re working on more stuff… stay tuned.
Julie Jackson / Kitty Wigs
p.s. I loved this article – I hadn’t seen the Wiggles lady in action before, what a hoot!
NicoleNovember 20, 2009 at 5:38 pm
I’m so buying the calendar for 2011! My mom will love it.
Shhh… don’t tell her. 🙂
Michelle TNovember 24, 2009 at 6:09 pm
LOL wow these are adorable. Not sure how many will sell, but adorable for making up your pet.